With less than a month to go for the last date to link Aadhaar to mobile number for re-verification, it is high time you link the two as mobile services may be disconnected in April. If linking Aadhaar to mobile number for SIM re-verification is on top of your mind too, then there is a simple way to do it without leaving your home or office. This new method of Aadhaar linking with mobile number just requires users to make a call to a centralised number and enter an OTP. This is a convenient means of linking the two and eliminates the hassle of visiting an offline store and waiting in queues. However, there is still no way to link Aadhaar and mobile number online.
How to link Aadhaar with mobile phone number
If you want to re-verify your phone number by linking it to Aadhaar, the process is rather simple. You just need to keep your Aadhaar number at hand. Whether you are on Airtel, Idea, Jio, and Vodafone or any other operator, you simply need to call the toll-free number 14546 from the phone number. Follow these steps, as directed by the IVR, to complete the re-verification process.
- When you call 14546, you will be asked to select whether you are an Indian national or an NRI by selecting the respective option
- Next, you will have to give consent to link Aadhaar with your phone number by pressing 1
- After that, you need to provide your Aadhaar number and press 1 to confirm
- This step generates the OTP, which you will receive on your mobile phone
- Now, you need to enter your phone number
- Here, you are asked to give consent to your operator to pick your name, photo and date of birth from UIDAI data base
- The IVR now mentions the last four digits of your number to confirm that you have keyed in the right number
- If the number is correct, you can enter the OTP you received on SMS
- You must press 1 to complete the Aadhaar-mobile number re-verification process
- If you hold another phone number, you can link that too by pressing 2 and following the steps provided by the IVR system. Keep your other mobile phone handy as you will receive the OTP on this number.
The OTP you receive for Aadhaar-mobile phone re-verification is valid for 30 minutes, so you can use it even there is some network glitch and the call terminates prematurely. Subscribers who are on corporate plans do not need to need to undergo the re-verification process. Since Jio takes Aadhaar number to activate the SIM card, subscribers do not need to re-verify on the network, a customer care executive told Gadgets 360.
How to Buy a SIM Card in India
In late November, telecom operators had also been directed to set up a website so that subscribers can link Aadhaar and mobile number online. However, no operator has set up such a portal, nor has a central portal been created.